If you are seeking to make a positive impact in the world and contribute to create an overall better environment for everyone; then volunteering abroad is for you, and there are plenty of volunteer jobs for you to contribute to.
Volunteering abroad is about working towards making a powerful positive change in the world in a different community away from home; no matter what volunteer job you choose to do (Teaching, building houses or creating awareness), how big or small the project is, it still matters, it is important.
So, if you are thinking about engaging in what will be the most amazing experience of your whole life, take a look at these several different volunteer jobs you can apply to, and what they are all about. Our jobs page has both volunteering jobs and paid jobs in Cambodia.
Teaching and Education
One of the most popular volunteer jobs are centered around teaching (either an specific language or skill) or improving the education system of the place they’re going.
By sharing this website and visiting our global partners
YOU allow us to create a fish farming co-op producing
1,400,000 fish per annum in Cambodia
How to Contribute| Have a Holiday
Do you want to know how to contribute to our platform to help a Cambodia Charity flourish? We firmly believe in asking for nothing for nothing in return. We are not asking you to send us money (although it would be appreciated). What we want from you is to enjoy the information in our website and find the content useful. AND then visit our advertisers; with absolutely no obligation to purchase anything.
Our commitment to you
We want to ensure that YOU gain something by visiting our platform and using the information we have gained over many years working and travelling overseas.
If there is something we missed ask us some questions and we will do our best to satisfy your need for knowledge and information about volunteering abroad. With our particular emphasis on Cambodian charities we are second to none in sourcing information about the Kingdom. You can take a shortcut to the website content by visiting our frequently asked questions page.
What will a contribution cost you?
To "donate" to us will cost you absolutely zero. WE do not charge fees or commissions of any description to those who want to volunteer abroad or to the charities that appear on the voluntouring website. We fund our missions by allowing advertising (where appropriate) that we believe will be useful to ANYONE planning a trip overseas - for any reason. The prices to anyone using our links are exactly the same as the prices you would pay these brands directly or through 3rd parties. However; when you use our website we will receive a commission which goes to maintaining the voluntouring website or directly to our fish farming charity in Battambang.
We say again: It will cost you Nothing, Zero,
Not a Penny to help us achieve our mission.
Does the purpose of your trip matter?
It matters not a jot if you are travelling for a holiday, visiting Angkor Wat, business or to take part in a charitable project abroad. If it involves travel and accommodation, our charities can benefit from your choice to use our website to complete your travel plans and bookings. Every booking will contribute to a Cambodian charity. Just as an example; a 2 week stay in a hotel could buy 800+ fish fry for our fish farm project - that is 800 family meals. A holiday for a group of 4 would pay for an administrator in Siem Reap or Battambang for 1 month. You book a holiday and we employ someone!
Qatar Airways | A Different Class
Booking a flight to Cambodia or any global destination with Qatar Airways will guarantee you a 5 star service. Qatar Airways always deliver on service second to none. With one of the worlds most modern fleets it offers unrivaled reliability. If you can afford to push the boat out - book a business class ticket. Be amazed.
Etihad Flights |Book flights To Anywhere
Etihad offer great value for money and regular routes with modern aircraft.
Flights | Skyscanner
Our information about flights holds good for most destinations. Almost all flights are operated through a GDS system of one description or another. We suggest Skyscanner; however, as we bring on more advertisers we will give you more options. Our advice is always to book your flight first; there are more hotel rooms available than there are flights.
Accommodation | Online Travel Agents
As someone who worked in the hospitality industry, I believe that you might as well opt for one of the top 3 online travel agents (OTA). Visit our information page on the secrets of how to book a great hotel room. Our information is particularly relevant if you are booking accommodation in Siem Reap. However much of the advice stands good for any location. Unlike the accommodation aggregators you see on the TV, the big 3 OTA's have some influence on the hotels they advertise.
Their tried and trusted model is to book your accommodation today and pay on arrival (or departure). Which is great if you want to guarantee a great room, but do not want to fork out a lump of cash today. They have a sophisticated yet easy to use filter tool to help you get the exact hotel you want. Book TODAY
Their booking model is pay now, which is great if you want to get the expense out of the way and focus on spending money. They have a no nonsense refund guarantee. If you have a problem with a hotel they are quite aggressive in obtaining a refund for you (I know from experience as a hotel manager). They do this by simply paying (or not paying) the hotel once you have checked out at the end of your stay. If you complain during your stay they do not pay the hotel. The hotel is not prepaid - it is kept in escrow. Far safer than paying a hotel in advance. We siggest that you never pay a hotel a deposit unless you know them very well.
Their booking process focuses on the whole shebang; flight, hotel and car hire. Another great way of paying for the biggest expense and focusing on spending money. As with Agoda any payment made to them is held in escrow until you check out. We will donate the commission received to our charitable work in Cambodia
Travel Insurance | World Nomads
We believe that travel insurance is essential. by the by even if you do not use our recommendation; invest in travel insurance. All to often you will hear horror stories of travellers who though it was not really required. Our choice of travel insurance is World Nomad as we believe they understand the independent traveler and those who are on volunteering missions.
Using airport lounges are a great way to start or end a journey. Get yourself and your group away from the hustle bustle of the main airport concourse. Less queues means less hassle. Whilst you are enjoying complimentary drinks and snacks you are actually making a donation to our mission and charity. How cool is it to donate to charity by relaxing. A win/win situation for everyone!
How cool would it be to be met at the airport and be whisked through immigration? Or relax and enjoy First Class service instead of the manic conditions in some airports? YOU DESERVE IT. It is a lot cheaper than you might think.
An awesome way to donate even more!
Really simple and super easy. Copy the URL and send it to your friends, family and colleagues; maybe one of them needs a holiday or wants to volunteer abroad. Visit the Voluntouring Abroad Facebook page and follow us. Now your contacts can donate to our missions by enjoying a much needed holiday abroad or at home. Go on a vacation or enjoy a staycation!
If you can think of a better way to donate to charity please send me an email or call me.
These teaching and education jobs strive to accomplish a better education system and learning environment for the kids and teenagers involved, and most of them align with the ONU’s Quality Education goals. Here are a couple of jobs you might be interested in:
- Education for Schools: This volunteer program is focus on improving the education system of a particular school through creating innovative lesson plans and activities that promotes learning and studying.
- Teaching English: It focuses on teaching English to kids following a pre-set program during the course of several weeks in which you will be an English teacher..
- Education camps: You will be working alongside an organization to make sure young boys and girls have proper access to education and are able to learn basic skills in order to enter elementary school and continue learning.
Social work & awareness
Volunteering for social work means carrying on different activities that focus on either bringing light into a important problem happening in the country/locality or on working towards solving an specific issue.
- Raising awareness: These volunteer jobs are all about making significant campaigns to shine a light on different problems affecting an specific locality (Extreme poverty, Sexual trafficking, sexual transmitted diseases…) and educate the community on how to fight these problems and what can they do in order to make things better.
- Volunteering to work with Orphanages: You will be constantly in touch with orphan children during your volunteer program. However, your job will most likely be centered around helping the orphanage with various tasks that could vary from taking care of the kids, to performing administrative chores. Choose a Cambodian orphanage wisely. Check our article on how to choose a charity as it is vitally important that you know what you are going to be involved with. Orphanages in Cambodia are drought with controversy.
- Living sustainably: You will be working with the community to teach them how to live more sustainably, improving the environment around them. This particular volunteer program is often done via multiple campaigns that encourage locals to get involved and learn about the topic.
- Global Warming Campaigns: Although similar to raising awareness, this type of volunteer program focuses on not only educating the community about global warming, but actually working with an organization to reuse and recycle different materials in order to repair or create a green area/space in the locality.
These volunteer jobs don’t have a sub-category because they are all centered around the same idea: Providing much needed medical help to the hundreds of kids and adults in developing countries.
You, as a volunteer, will be constantly learning about the health system in a different country, specifically a developing one and gaining valuable experience in the medical field, either by actually performing basic medical care or by simply observing your environment.
Keep in mind, unlike the other volunteer jobs, this one does require you to either be either a Medical Student about to graduate or an already graduated Doctor. We have already helped several dentists volunteer in Cambodia.
If you choose to volunteer in these type of programs you will be doing a lot of manual work throughout the duration of your stay, building or renovating different structures around the community.
- House Construction programs: You will be working along an organization to build sustainable and livable houses for poor less fortunate families to live in. The goal of this project is to give proper housing to people living in street situations and provide them with a roof over their heads.
- School Construction programs: Similar to the one above, you will be working to either build a small school for children or young people of very poor backgrounds, or you will be working to restore old schools into actual proper learning spaces.
Keep in mind, there are other types of volunteer jobs and programs available around the world. Working with animals, volunteering to work and improve the technology department of non-profit/non-government organizations, working with children with special needs… There are volunteer jobs for everyone, you just have to find it.
Volunteer jobs organisations
Every donor country and countries urgently needing volunteers have commercial and charitable organizations wanting to help you. If it is a commercial company they want a fee from you. If it is an individual charity your choice might be limited. By following our 7 step guide on how to volunteer abroad will mean that all your cash and energy will be for the sole benefit of your chosen foreign charity. If you have any questions you can contact us our check out our frequently asked questions about volunteer jobs abroad.
Things to buy before you fly
Here is our extensive list of essential travel items to buy before you fly. Obviously you will not need all of them; however it is 100% guaranteed that you will need some of them! The commission helps us expand our website.